Website For Local Musicians to Sell Their Music

Posted: Friday, January 7, 2011 by •»¶hê ƒRëq»•-)•–––– in
0

For quite a while now I have pondered the idea of creating a website to sell music by local Sault Ste. Marie musicians.  True, we have had some support with The Rad Zone and CD Plus in selling CD's we've created but with CD Plus now gone, an online site strictly for local artists to sell their music seems like a logical next step.   I have been researching this for some time and I've come to the conclusion that selling music via the MP3 format online in single songs would be best.  For the past few months I have been researching how I could achieve such a site, using Pay Pal, or credit card payments per song but also the ability to download full albums.  Over the next while I'm going to talk with some local musicians to see if this is something they might be interested in contributing to with their music.  Right now, local bands are basically selling their music by word of mouth, or like I mentioned earlier, through a few local stores.  Yes, you could put your material on "itunes" or similar sites but I'm talking your home town and giving local fans easy access to buying the material.   Right now, I'm researching online storage for such a venture and the cost to get this going.  This is just an idea I've been working on and I won't say for sure if it's something definite, but a few I've mentioned this to, sound interested.  The music has to be strictly local musicians but that can also be ones that have relocated.  The focus has to be on the local scene.   On top of all of that, finding a way to advertise to the city of Sault Ste. Marie is also a task and like any advertising, it costs money.   Finding a way to promote such a site so local folks can first of all find the site let alone download music is a task in its self.  I will keep you posted if I take the plunge on such a site or not.  I still have more research to do.

Glen "the Freq"

0 comments: